This video is not available on this platform.
2509 days ago,
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Makes: 16 fingers / 4 portions/nPer serving (based on 4 portions)
391 kcal (22% GDA)
8.6g fat (12% GDA)
3.1g saturates (16% GDA)
11.9g sugars (14% GDA)
1.3g salt (33% GDA)/nWholegrain servings: 1/nIngredients
2 large chicken breasts /nFor the marinade
100 ml (3 ½ fl oz) skimmed milk, plus 1 tbsp for dipping
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp thyme leaves or half tsp dried
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice/nChicken finger covering
90g Bitesize Shredded Wheat
2 tbsp finely grated cheddar cheese
4 tbsp grated Parmesan
Half tsp paprika
Light sunflower oil spray/nTo decorate
8 mini plum tomatoes
4tbsp tomato ketchup/nTo serve
8 new potatoes, scrubbed
4 cherry tomatoes
8 slices of black olive
160g cooked peas
160g cooked sweetcorn/nMethod:/n1. Cut each large chicken breast in half, cover with cling film and beat out a little; cut into strips and put in a bowl.
2. Mix together the skimmed milk, garlic, thyme, and lemon juice (the mixture will separate a little from the lemon juice but this is ok). Pour over the chicken, cover, and leave to marinade in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Heat the oven to 160C/Fan 140C/325F/gas mark 3.
4. Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes then transfer to a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
5. Whilst the potatoes are cooking, put 50g of Bitesize Shredded Wheat in a food processor and whiz for 1–2 minutes, until reduced to fine crumbs. Mix with the parmesan, cheddar cheese and paprika and transfer to a large plate.
6. Whiz the remaining 40g Bitesize Shredded Wheat in a food processor until fine and spread out onto another plate.
7. Whisk the egg in a small bowl with the tablespoon of milk.
8. Remove the chicken strips from the marinade, shaking off any excess and toss in the whizzed up plain Bitesize Shredded Wheat.
9. Dip in the beaten egg and roll in the cheesy Bitesize Shredded Wheatcoating.
10. Spray light sunflower oil into a large non-stick pan and fry over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes each side, until golden and crisp. Cool slightly before serving.
11. To decorate, place half a mini tomato on one end of the chicken finger to imitate a red finger nail.
12. To make the potato eyes, top each potato with half a cherry tomato topped and an olive slice. Serve four chicken fingers with 2 potato eyes, sweetcorn, peas and tomato sauce!
To freeze put uncooked, coated chicken strips on a baking sheet lined with clingfilm. Cover with more clingfilm and freeze until solid then transfer to a re-sealable box or freezer bag. To cook direct from frozen, add 1 minute extra cooking time for frying.